The Operational Services Department (Public Works) primarily oversees the Natural Gas Services, Street Services and Water and Wastewater Services departments. We operate out of the new Town Shop that's shared with Mountain View County at the following address:
Sundre Town Shop
5417 TWP Rd. 325B
Mountain View County, Alberta
Snow Clearing Policy
819 Unsightly Premises & Snow Removal Bylaw
Abandoning a Well document from Alberta Agriculture & Rural Development)
Tying In To East Side Services (April 2013)
Natural Gas Services
The Town of Sundre provides the safe and reliable supply of natural gas to approximately 1350 meter locations within the town, delivering an average of 200-1000 mcf (thousand cubic feet) of gas a day to 1281 residences and businesses. The department carries out the following duties:
- Maintains a first response program for gas odour, leaks and carbon monoxide calls.
- Installation of all new gas services in new developments.
- Maintenance and testing of the distribution system.
- Infrastructure upgrades.
- Project management of the installation of automated meter reading equipment (AMR) at every meter location within the Town.
- Ensures compliance to the Alberta One Call Program.
- Participates in the Town On Call system.
- Preparation of yearly Capital and Operating Budgets
The Town is also in the final year of a four-year gas meter replacement program. There are currently 1285 gas meters in Town, 1104 residential and 181 commercial. By the end of 2013 over 900 traditional gas meters will have been replaced by automatic meter reading (AMR) devices. This program was undertaken to reduce staff time in meter reading, to reduce manual meter reading errors, to ensure all meters were up to code and, lastly, to ensure that all meters, regardless of location, could be read safely.
The AMR meters are read electronically and the data is downloaded directly into the Town’s financial software system that generates utility bills.
The Streets Department provides a well maintained infrastructure of streets, sidewalks, alleys, storm drainage and associated signage. The duties carried out by the streets department includes:
- Snow plowing and sanding.
- Street sweeping.
- Pothole patching, crack sealing and spray patching.
- Line and curb painting.
- Sidewalk repair.
- Maintenance of storm water drainage systems.
- Annual sidewalk and road inspections.
- Preparations of yearly Capital and Operating Budgets.
Water and Wastewater Services
The Water and Wastewater department ensures that the Town is provided with a safe and secure supply of water and reliable system for wastewater treatment. The main duties of the department includes:
- Supervision of the Town Water Treatment Plant.
- Operation and maintenance of the water distribution system.
- Operation and maintenance of the Town Wastewater Treatment Facility.
- Operation and maintenance of the wastewater collection system.
- All water and wastewater testing.
- Supervision of all new services.
- Preparation of yearly Capital and Operating Budgets.
The Town produces an average of 1500 m3 a day from 2 source wells. There are currently 1102 water meters in Town (974 residential and 128 commercial). Sundre has just completed a four-year water meter replacement program. By the end of 2013 over 800 traditional water meters were replaced by automatic meter reading (AMR) devices.